6 Ways to Identify the GO-TAKER
You may have heard of the Go-Giver … a term Napoleon Hill used some 75 years ago in his best selling personal development book, Think and Grow Rich. Bob Burg and John David Mann titled their book The Go-Giver. I have learned that almost everyone with a voice in personal development today developed their platform based in Hill’s #1 best seller of all time. It is sixth in sales to the Bible after all.
While Burg and Mann mention the Go-Taker in their book, these 6 ways are my perspective on GO-TAKERS.
Every met the GO-TAKER? They are the opposite of the Go-Giver. And we cannot BE BOTH! They put on the go-giver mask, but are always on the ‘take.’ That’s their motive — their watch-word — let’s get something .. anything of value … for nothing. They thrive in a network like inside919 where they know people provide good value first. They just keep on taking!
- The GO-TAKERS are always looking for something for FREE. They actually ask for it!! They do not value themselves so they do not value you. It can be a class … or it might be a dishwasher you are giving away … they take it and STORE it to be sold for personal profit later!
- The GO-TAKERS want to trade or barter … any way they can … so they don’t invest one dollar. They ‘pretend’ they will invest, but never do. They repeat this behavior with different groups of people. When people in one group figure them out, they simply move on to another group and continue taking. After all, there ARE endless groups of people, ripe for the GO-TAKERS to feed.
- The GO-TAKERS LEAD with their degrees, certifications, books, or honors, whether verbally or in writing. They believe they ARE these things!
- The GO-TAKERS often END their communications with those same degrees, certifications, written books, or honors. No matter if it goes on ad nauseum for pages and pages.
- The GO-TAKERS pretend they don’t know they are the TAKERS. They KNOW! And are so practiced they have you believing they ‘didn’t realize’ or ‘know’ what they were doing.
- The GO-TAKERS talk about success — even TEACH it — yet have never experienced it in the true sense of the word. Success comes from go-giving, not GO-TAKING.
These folks have a deeply ingrained mindset of LACK – there just isn’t enough for them, or to go around, on this planet. Always on the prowl for free trainings and material things, they really are saying to the Universe that they are not WORTH any investment in themselves! That they can’t PAY for or afford anything. That’s LACK, pure and simple. That’s your GO-TAKER.
While I personally give or tithe as an act of generosity, there comes a time when one becomes aware that the GO-TAKER has no desire to change their scraping by, taking from others, and expecting a rescue. Perhaps when this becomes obvious, generosity can move on to a true Go-Giver.
©Leslie Flowers June 2012, exponential personal growth expert, helps mature women re-engineer their businesses and their lives by steeping them in living life with principles, virtues, and higher awareness. Faculty member in Mindset Mastery at the Ultimate Life Company, with Bob Proctor, you can catch her programs on mastermind excellence and expert goal setting and achievement at their site. You may read her archived voluminous personal growth teachings — Drops of Awareness — at PathsofChange.com, which house each step on her own path of change over the past 10 years. Enjoy Leslie’s BLOG.